Alexey Smertin: 'I am happy that Kazakhstan got in the same group with the Russian national team'
- Mr. Smertin, what can you say on the results of the draw?
- I am happy that Kazakhstan got in the same group with the Russian team. I am pleased, because I was born in the Altai region, close to Kazakhstan. I spent my childhood in your country, having played in various tournaments. It's nice that a lot of Russian football players played or play in your championship. On the other hand, we are also rivals. I think that will not be easy to play away. But at the same time, I think that the favorite of the group is Belgium. They performed well at the World Cup in Russia. I really hope that Kazakhstan will be able to do their best in the upcoming qualification.
- What do you know about the Kazakhstani football?
- Recently I've been there. It is clear, that football is developing in your country. There are some good football schools and I think a new generation of layers are growing.
- Erkebulan Seidakhmet is playing for the Russian club 'UFA'. What can you say about him?
- I heard about him, but I have not seen his game yet.
- Can you say something about any other players of the Kazakhstan national team?
- I don't know anyone else.” I hope that in matches with the Russian national team we will get to know each other closer to your team.